Sam Beckbessinger is the bestselling author of Manage Your Money Like a Fucking Grownup, sold in six countries. She writes weird horror stories and kids' tv shows, and helps people learn to adult better (she's still trying to figure it out herself).
She was one of the writers on Realm and Marvel’s Jessica Jones: Playing With Fire serialised novel. Her an interactive story about climate change, Survive the Century, was featured in New Scientist and Gizmodo. She's also written several episodes for animated kids’ TV show, Team Jay, commissioned by the Juventus Soccer Club and produced and animated by Sunrise Productions, and the family-friendly comedy series Jungle Beat, which has been broadcast in over 180 countries on channels including Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.
Sam was a Mandela Washington Fellow for Young African Leaders at Yale University in 2014, and is a partner and co-founder of Inves Capital.
Her first novel, Girls of Little Hope (written with Dale Halvorsen), is coming out in 2023. She lives in London.
Sam Beckbessinger is the author of a book called Manage Your Money Like a Fucking Grownup, which is sold in six countries and remained on the top 10 South African bestseller list for two years. She’s also a cartoon scriptwriter, has published three picture books for young children, and wrote for Marvel’s Jessica Jones: Playing With Fire on Realm. She just launched a branching narrative story about climate change called Survive the Century, and still has a blog even though it’s 2022. She gets way too excited about gross body fluids and spreadsheets. She lives in London.
- Novelist, Girls of Little Hope (upcoming: 2023). A novel about two missing girls who come back, changed, written with Dale Halvorsen.
- Screenwriter, four episodes of Jungle Beat (2021) - a family-friendly animated comedy series which has been broadcast in over 180 countries on channels including Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon.
- Writer and Creator, Survive the Century (2021) a branching narrative game about climate change. Now also available as an interactive book.
- Writer, two episodes of Marvel's Jessica Jones: Playing with Fire (2020) - a serialised story on Realm featuring Marvel's reluctantly superpowered private eye, Jessica Jones.
- Screenwriter, six episodes of Team Jay (2019) - an animated kids series where a magic zebra two children, a gerbil and a flying squirrel save their town from uppity villains. Broadcast on Nickelodeon Italy. By Sunrise Productions and Juventus F.C.
- Writer, three picture books for young children: How to Tame a Monster (2021), Lost Toy (2020) and Hippo Wants to Dance (2016).
- Creator, writer and host, Like a F-cking Grownup (2019). A podcast about health, money, happiness, and how to live your best life, for people who have noooo idea what they’re doing.
- Writer, Manage Your Money Like a F-cking Grownup (2016). A lighthearted nonfiction book about being broke which is sold in six countries and remained on the top 10 South African bestseller list for two years. There are multiple editions, including a mouth-washed-out-with-soap adaptation for teenagers.
- Short story writer, "Undercurrency" and "According to Plan" in anthology Upshot (2020). "This Book Will Find You" in anthology The Outcast Hours (2018) (with Dale Halvorsen and Lauren Beukes). "Blinding Birds" (2017) in The Cardiff Review.
Need a photo? Feel free to download a high-res headshot here. All photographs are by the wonderful Tabitha Guy.